Priming Main Ribs   August 21st, 2008

This weekend was spent priming the main wing ribs. I was already planning on spending all day Saturday and all day Sunday washing, re-washing, and priming ribs. However, Fabiola volunteered to help, and we finished much quicker. I didn’t have a place to prime all 28 ribs at a time, so I did most of them on Saturday and then few left over on Sunday.

I used the AFS (now Steward Systems) water-based primer. We first washed with Dawn detergent, then used their acid-based detergent/etch. Even though we have a sink in the garage, Fabiola suggested using the bathtub for the washing 🙂 (“There is A/C in the bathroom, there is no A/C in the garage!!”).


After washing, we moved the ribs to the garage and hung them from the wing jigs. Then it was just on to actually spraying the primer!

Posted in Wing Ribs, Wings | Comments Closed

Main Ribs Conduit Hole   August 11th, 2008

The move came at a good time, since we were done match drilling the wings and even had the leading edge riveted. Since last April, I did manage to debur and dimple all of the main ribs.

The last thing to do before priming and riveting them to the spar is to drill a hole for the electrical conduit that will carry power to the lights, autopilot (!), etc.

These holes are not pre-punched, but Van’s has a document showing three recommended locations for the conduit. I elected to go with a hole near the bottom, next to the largest lightening hole. I made a cardboard template to make sure all of the ribs had their holes in the same location. I used the template to drill a #30 hole in the ‘Right’ ribs (some of these go in the right wing and some in the left..confusing!).

For the ‘Left’ ribs, I just clecoed a ‘Right’ rib on top of it and drilled through the first hole. Simple.

Finally, I used a unibit in the drill press to enlarge the hole to 3/4″, as specified in the Van’s drawing.

Posted in Wing Ribs, Wings | Comments Closed

Today I finished deburring the last of the wing ribs. Here’s a picture of all of them. They don’t look like much, but there’s 40 of these suckers.

I still need to do the tank ribs, so we’ll see ya’ll in a week or so…

Posted in Deburring, Wing Ribs | Comments Closed

Deburring Ribs   June 3rd, 2007

You may have noticed there haven’t been any blog entries for a while. Well, there may not be any entries in the near future either…

I am deburring all the wing ribs, and there are a LOT of them. Each one takes me about 15-30 minutes depending on how many little bends and slots it has. I’ve done about 50% of them. After deburring, I still need to make sure the flanges are at 90 degrees from the web. Then I need to flute them and drill some of them so I can run wiring to the wing tips.

Anyway, back to deburring…

Posted in Deburring, Wing Ribs | Comments Closed