Finishing the Rudder, Part 2   September 16th, 2006

Ok, it’s all done!

Have I mentioned that bending the leading edge was a beatch? I got my brother to help we eventually got it. The center section looks less-than-perfect, but definitely not too bad.

Screwing the Rod-End bearings into the platenuts requires a special tool. Since the platenuts are squished for extra retention, you can’t just use your fingers for these things.

First I built a tool from PVC, to keep from damaging the rod-end bearings:

This tool worked for about 50% of the way in. At this point, it started slipping, so I had to build something else. This time I used a cutting disk on a dremel tool to cut two slots on a 14mm hex socket. After polishing it, it worked great for screwing the rod-end bearings the rest of the way as called out in the plans:

After these were in, it was time to test fit the rudder to the vertical stabilizer!

Fabiola says this thing is starting to look like an airplane!

This entry was posted on Saturday, September 16th, 2006 at 6:46 pm and is filed under Empennage, Rudder. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.

No Responses